Sep 14, 2009

Profile Patches - Social Stitchworking




From the top: Lazerlight (with phospherescent thread,) Optical Recognition, Dot Mouthtrix, Cybereyes

These were created for the Trap\door 10cc show at the Bowman in the glass cases. All works had to be 10cm x 10cm. Super, duper small.

These images are from my own profile pictures (world's cheapest model) on various social networking sites. I re-sized the profile pics and changed them to gray scale. Then the images were printed on to inkjet cotton. I then hand embroidered various interventions. Once embroidered, the patches are then heat n' bonded to canvas and machine embroidered around the end.

I like the dichotomy of fabric patches and computer coding patches. I'm also a little obsessed with curating profile pics. I have some ideas percolating for residency proposals in regards to social networking and profile pictures.

I've misplaced my camera cable, so these images were scanned and the resolution is a little weird.

If you are interested in these patches they are $25 at the Bowman Arts Centre for the Lethbridge Art Walk starting Friday, September 18th.